As some of you know, I have been gluten free for almost 4 years now. I have always had stomach pains ( literally since I can remember ) and when I went to college those pains became unbearable. As most of you know, when you go to college you eat carbs, carbs, oh and more carbs. Because of this my pain grew and I knew it was time to figure out why.
I went to my doctor and the first thing they checked for was celiac. They found that while I did not have celiac, I did have a gluten sensitivity and they suggested I cut it out completely. For those of you that are gluten free, you know that four years ago eating this way was not as nearly as yummy as it can be now. I thought I would share some of my favorite go-to places for food here in CLT. I hope you enjoy!
1. Carrabba's :
- While Carrabba's is a chain ( yes I am eating corporate America ha ) it has easily become of my favorite places to get some great gluten free food! My go-to meal is Chicken Marsala with a side of GF pasta covered in Alfredo Sauce and a side salad with the house dressing!
2. Roosters Wood-Fired Kitchen:
- Roosters is an amazing local chain and in their words "source the finest our region has to offer, but also push the boundaries by working in concert with our growers to cultivate specialty crops and heirloom varieties exclusively for our restaurants." This is my absolute favorite restaurant in Charlotte to be honest. My go-to meal is the "iceburg, house bacon, pickled red onion, tomatoes, roquefort" salad and the "roasted joyce farms chicken natural".
3. Bad Daddy's Burger Bar:
- They have some great gluten free options that I promise you will LOVE! From burgers to salads to gluten free buns, here you cannot go wrong. My go-to meal is a Build Your Own Chicken Sandwich with a GF Bun and lettuce, tomato and mayo along with a bag of chips!
4. Jersey Mike's Subs:
- Again while this is not a local place, I had to mention it because it is my all time favorite go-to now for any meal. Jersey Mike's has always had Sub in a Tub but recently started using Udi's Gluten Free Sub Rolls and for all you gluten free people you know how amazing that is! My go-to is the number 7 ( turkey with provolone ) Mike's way with a bag of lays chips and a water!
5. Melt in Your Mouth Cupcakes ( CLT )
- This is by far my favorite place to get any gluten free cake or cupcake. Mark and I actually used this place to get our wedding cake and it could not have been any more delicious. They have a gluten free cupcake flavor of the day every day they are open, but you have to get in early or they run out! This is a must for birthdays or celebrations!